As a landlord, you’ll find a number of different offerings from letting agents – but how do you know which one is right for you, and what you are prepared to be responsible for? For example, if you haven’t opted for a fully managed service, or have decided to go it alone as a private landlord, you have to ensure you understand exactly what you are responsible for. We asked Elaine Chan, Lettings Manager at Kingsley Hamilton Estates to break the various services for landlords down.
This is the most basic service on offer – the letting agent will ensure the property is let as soon as possible, combining a variety of marketing methods including listings on property portals, something that is not possible as a private landlord. And with the majority of renters using portals such as Zoopla and Rightmove, it’s essential your property is listed here to ensure a quick tenant find.
Once a tenant has been found, reference checks will be carried out, and a water-tight tenancy agreement will be drawn up. Kingsley Hamilton Estates collect the first month’s rent in advance, and after this, it will be your responsibility to collect the rent and deal with any maintenance issues that arise.
Prior to the tenant’s move-in day, an inventory, gas safety check, and EPC will need to be arranged. For peace of mind that this is done correctly, we can do it on your behalf for a small fee.
This service option is most suitable if you’re comfortable handling the day-to-day management of your property yourself. If this isn’t working for you, it might be worth looking into the full management option.
Selecting this service does take away the burden of collecting rent – if a tenant is late with the rent, or cannot pay, it can be a difficult situation to confront and resolve. As a landlord, you cannot take action on a late, or non-paying tenant unless they are more than two consecutive months in arrears.
Often the most favourable option, a fully managed service means the complete control of the management of your rental property is handled by your letting agency – giving you total peace of mind.
When you opt for this service with Kingsley Hamilton Estates, you’ll get:
- Tenant and landlord support for any enquiry, including help to resolve breaches of contract, rent issues, and damages.
- Inventory check-in and checkout – ensuring the property is left in the same condition as it was given, enabling the next tenant to move in immediately.
- We’ll ensure all the certificates you need to let a property are received and completed by the tenant within the designated time frames. This includes making sure that the gas, electricity, EPCs, and many more, are in place and visible in the property.
- 24/7 maintenance and repairs service.
- Damage covered – all you have to do is provide us with the warranty details for each appliance, and we’ll take care of the rest.
- All works guaranteed. We’ll only employ trusted, local contractors to carry out work on your property. You’ll also benefit from below-market prices due to the volume of work we provide our contractors with. We’ll also be around to let them into the property.
- Quarterly property inspections.
- Deposit protection and adjudication.
Here’s what one of our landlords had to say about working with us: “I contacted a number of agents around Canary Wharf. Elaine seemed more knowledgeable in the first instance. I agreed with three agents that they should follow up with me when I was ready and Elaine was the only one to do so. These two touch points were all I needed to know to feel comfortable in committing to work with her. Subsequently, she has found a professional (ideal) tenant paying market rate on the rent within a few weeks of the flat being on the market. I am very happy with the service and enjoy dealing with Elaine. Highly recommended.” Paul Maguire.
Kingsley Hamilton Estates’ comprehensive lettings services can be customised to fit around you and your needs – call our team today on 020 7078 0214, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.